Saturday, July 18, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy!

As Bokonon would say, busy, busy, busy! (Go read Cat's Cradle, Vonnegut)

Taekwondo is amazing. In two days I have learned a basic punch, kick and three blocks. It is tiring and exciting and I love it. The class is conducted in Korean with brief translations when Salsa Boy, S, or I look particularly confused. There is a lot of confusion on my part though I am learning quickly. I will try to have someone take a picture of me in my uniform soon and post it. The only thing that is really hurting my body are the kicks, which apparently take a few months for your legs to get used to. I'm definitely a long ways from the flying kicks that Salsa Boy is doing right now. Then again, he's been at this since April.

This weekend was and is full of social madness. I love having the time to see my friends but this time it's a little bittersweet. Last night I went clubbing in Apgujeong to Monkey Beach which is fun in its own right but given that it was for a goodbye party, a bit depressing. Most of my favorite people will be leaving over the next two months and while it's hard it is also part and parcel of expat life. I will make new friends and strengthen friendships with the ones I have but it's sad all the same. Today I am going to do some shopping with a few female friends and then going to quiz night with another couple. I'm not entirely sure what this entails but it sounds like fun.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Speaking of busy, when do you leave for China? Can't wait to see your posts after you return.

Alex said...

I leave for China on July 30th. There may or may not be a guest blogger posting for me while I'm gone.

Unknown said...

Hey Alex it sounds like your having a grand time! By the way are you charlie horse from all the kicks? Or do they warm you up really well before the lesson(?). I know that throughout Jr high and High school I would 99% of the time get charlie horse practicing dances/aerobics, which probably had to do with the fact that we never warmed up before due to our lack of knowledge!! Make it a great day!

Unknown said...

Whoops I 4got to sign my name in case you 4 got ...its your long lost cousin who is so happy to kit with you in some way....
Emuna

Alex said...

I do get sore but we do a good warm up. However, I had a doctor consulatation about charlie horses when I lived in Paris (because I got AWFUL ones all the time) and they are usually caused by calcium deficiency or dehydration and Not failure to stretch. Of course not stretching can lead to all sorts of other problems...